Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Misery of Moving and the Power of Preaching

Did I tell you that we might be moving? I travel to South Carolina on June 26-28 to preach in view of a call at a church outside Anderson. If the church gives a yes vote we will be moving in early July. Moving is miserable, but we are excited about the oppotunity to serve in this particular church. Did I mention that I would be the Senior Pastor? Just thinking about it causes me to trimble because my heart is so prone to fear. So what do we do when we become afriad or face a difficult situation or risk big things for Christ? Isaiah 41:10 has been my song in the night "Fear not! For I am with you. Do not anxiously look about you for I am your God, I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you by my righteous right hand." Oh how I love the Word of God, what comfort it brings to my fraile and fragmented soul.



I am excited and overwhelmed by the thought of being a senior pastor for many reasons, but what I do know is that if God has called He will also equip. I might be taking a risk--stepping out by faith with confidence only in Christ, but God is not taking a risk with me--not because I am a safe investment, but because He is a sovereign God. Martin Luther once said, "Lord command what you will but will what you command." In other words, if God has called me to be a pastor or you to take some great risk for Him then He will enable you to do it--Trust Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment