Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Calm before the Storm

We just got back from vacation. God has shown his benevolence towards us through Robin's sister and brother-in-law. They gave us four days and three nights at the beach and we enjoyed every minute of it. Rest is needed in life, especially rest in the Lord. I think one attack from the enemy both in our personal lives and in church life is busyness. We work ourselves to death trying to do to much, pouring our lives out, but never refilling. Rest is necessary. Jesus often withdrew himself from the crowds and the disciples to rest in the arms of His Father (God). Yes, worked was needed and many things could have been done, but Jesus knew the importance of retreating and withdrawing (for a time) to a place of solitude.

I have been resting for nearly three months now as I stepped away from formal ministry. It has been good to see how God works through His people and unfold His plan before my eyes. It has been difficult as well. I think it is difficult because it is contray to our sinful nature. We dont like not having some sense of control and this realization is made no clearer to us than when we loose our job, or home, or family member. But there is no better (or harder) place than being aware of your complete dependence upon our Sovereign King.

Monday I will enter back into formal ministry as a Senior Pastor. The thought makes me tremble and rejoice. The responsiblilty will be great, expectations high (atleast upon myself), so our trip to the beach was timely--as is the plan and will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment